The mine is located at Megalahalli, Tanigehalli and Chowdenahalli villages of Chitradurga district under Niruthadi Reserve Forest. Mining lease is over an area of 42.13 hectares and its validity is till the year 2027 and the mine is certified ISO 9001:2015, 14001:2015, 45001:2018 & SA 8000:2014. The Indian Bureau of Mines, Ministry of Mines, Govt of India has rated this mine is a “FIVE STAR MINE from the year 2016-17, till date under the Sustainable Development Framework.
JOHN MINE - "FIVE STAR MINE"
All statutory clearances are obtained for production capacity of 1.5 MMTPA. The mine is being worked by opencast method with shovel dumper combination. We produce high quality iron ore lumps suitable for blast furnace & DRI kilns and iron ore fines suitable for pellet manufacturing. We have an exclusive public Railway siding to cater the logistic support for our customers. We are responsible miners taking care of our surrounding environment by implementing numerous air, water & noise pollution mitigative measures. Won number of awards / prizes in the area of environment protection, safety and social responsibility. Conferred with “Misrilaal Jain Environment Award” instituted by FIMI for the year 2015-16.
- Exploration carried out in a scientific manner with grid interval of 50 mts.
- Analyses of the samples carried out at a NABL accredited laboratory.
- The data has been used in the SURPAC software for mine planning and design.
- The operations are carried out with fully mechanized Open Cast mining with shovel dumper combination.
- The mine benches are maintained as per the statue.
- Waste dumping at designated place with terracing.
- Proper gradient and burms of sufficient height is maintained
- Haul Roads are maintained with sufficient width, gradient and berms are maintained as per statue.
- Ramps are maintained at gradient less than 1 in 16.
- Drilling and blasting operations have been stopped and substituted with ripper dozer in order to avoid ground vibrations, air borne dust and noise.
- HEMM are provided with A.C cabins.
- Main transportation and haul roads are provided with fixed high pressure water sprinklers.
- For dust suppression at mine benches tankers fitted with sprinkling arrangement are deployed.
- Truck mounted dry fog dust suppression has been deployed to mitigate the air borne dust in the mine / stockyard.
- Ripper Dozer replaced drilling and blasting
- All belt conveyors, bunkers, transfer points at mineral processing plants are covered with powder coated G.I. hoots.
- Dry fog dust suppression system installed at all the feed hopper, output bunkers and transfer points in the mineral processing plants.
- Green belt safety zone plantation has been developed on periphery of the mining lease.
- Regular in-house monitoring of air, water, noise, etc.
- Plantation of different native species (31 species) within and outside the mining lease every year and maintaining them by watering, manure, during summer months.
- Maintaining in-house nursery with 50000 saplings raising capacity per annum.
- Distribution of developed saplings to local villagers on the eve of “WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY” every year.
- The transportation trucks are covered with tarpaulin and no overloading is allowed.
- All the transportation trucks are fitted with speed governors, RFID tags for monitoring.
Rehabilitation & Reclamation
- Check dams constructed – 5 No’s
- Gulley checks constructed – 19 No’s
- Retaining wall constructed at toe of the waste dump – 928 mts.
- Garland drain constructed along side retaining wall – 767 mts.
- Vertical drain constructed on the dump – 50 mts
- Storm water settling pond constructed – 2 No’s (one earthen & one masonry)
- Hume pipe culvert constructed – 42 mts.
- Earthen siltrap – 2 No’s
- Plantaions/afforesttion of native species are carried out within and out side the ML area.
- Safety zone area is maintained on western side of the lease area with fencing and plantations.